What do you think we should look for?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by they'reHISchickens, Sep 12, 2010.

1. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    I went out to close up the coops and found bodies:(
    Here's the facts: 2 8 week old orps dead, possibly from breaking their necks trying to get thru the fence. 1 15 week old cochin banty roo found dead in the middle of the lawn after following trail of white feathers.
    1 12 week old white orp pullet found injured and hiding under the vehicles
    Missing: 1 huge 15 week old black orp pullet and 3 12 week old B/BCMs including his favorite blue pullet.
    Everyone is subdued and quiet.
    We have 3 coops inside a fenced compound. All doors were still open. The adult coop was untouched and all appeared normal.
    The 8 week olds were in their coop ready to tuck in; the dead ones in another unattached fenced area that they wander into while free ranging. Bodies were limp and slightly warm. Feathers everywhere- but not theirs.
    The marans were very quiet and some were missing tail feathers.

We are thinking dog attack and more than one since multiple bodies are missing. Any other ideas?
    Baby monitor going in tomorrow. Cleo is not happy that her girls and boys are not well.

2. they'reHISchickens

they'reHISchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2008
    Reading
    To add: we freerange in open farm country with a border of trees and shrubs for them to hide in. We have lost one twice in the past 2 months but assume they wandered into the woods/cornfields where there MIGHT be fox/coyotes/owls/dogs. The coops are 10 feet away from our house. Nervy critter to come this close with Cleo marking her chicken's territory.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I think you may be right about it being the work of dog(s). So sorry for your losses. With any luck some of the missing will show up soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by