what do you think

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Cackel, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Cackel

Cackel Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    Ok now ya,ll remenber that im new at this ,I got all my incubators going and my DH has built me some boxes he put wire on the bottom and around all sides ,they have thick plastic on the top with holes for my heat lamp to fit through ,We have a small green house that is covered with hard plastic that we have turned into a place to raise our baby chicks,Durning the day if the sun is shinning it gets up to 120 degrees in there and we have to open the door, at night it will be cold so i plan to put my light on a timmer. we got rabbit feeders and hung them low on the wire as feeders for the baby chicks, I have seen the new pop bottle waters that I might get ,they also hang on the wire ,not sure yet what to use for baby chicks water. well what do you think ? am I ready for them or did I miss something ?

2. birdsofparadise

birdsofparadise Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    North Kohala, Hawaii
    Dear Cackle,

You might have some problems. First, your greenhouse is unregulated and unheated. Iʻm guessing its a smaller hobbyist model. These extreme temperature swings are very bad for plants, but death for chicks. They need a constant 90 - 95 degree for the first week, 85-90 the second week, etc. 120 days and frigid, drafty nights will give them respiratory problems for sure.

As for waterers and feeders. most feed stores sell screw on bases for Mason jars that either feed or water. Or they have red plastic chick feeders that prevent the chicks from sitting in the food and pooping. All of this can be purchased for under $10 total. But small animal waterers based upon a hanging bottle, tube and ball stopper wonʻt work with beaks. They have to be able to dip their beaks into the water to drink.

Lastly, you mght like to buy some Gro-Gel. When your chicks arrive, they will be stressed and dehydrated. This green goop will rehydrate the chicks and lead them to their food ASAP.

Good luck!

3. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I did use a soda bottle for button quail.. It did work, but the volume was not enough, so I had to fill it several times a day..

the screw on base with a 2 quart fruit jar works better.. we fill the base with 1" rocks so that the chicks cannot drown or get soaking wet.. there is plenty of space between the rocks for them to drink..

for the first week we put their food into shallow dishes. they just love scratching it out and eating it off the floor..

the quickest and easiest way to teach a batch of chicks to eat and drink is to teach one of them how.
    or better yet, if you have one that is young and knows how.. the rest will see it doing it and within minutes they all will mimic the leader.. bingo,bango,bongo job done..

....jiminwisc.........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by