What do you think?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lalo navarro, Jan 4, 2017.

1. lalo navarro

lalo navarro Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2016
    Fort Worth Texas
    I finally found an egg in the corner of the coop today sad thing is it was broken I first suspect Louie my mini pig but it was in a spot he couldn't get to I now suspect the rooster because today he has been pecking at one hen particularly he usually doesn't do this I'm a first timer so I don't know much any advice would be appreciated.

2. lalo navarro

Dec 31, 2016
    Fort Worth Texas
    [​IMG] I think if it had been Louie he would have eaten the whole thing

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Agreed

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I'm going out on a limb here and suggesting that is not chicken damage. If a chicken had broken into it, they all would have joined the party and consumed it. Since when you went into the pen, I'm assuming you did not see any chickens hovering over it, you may have a rodent or other issue. Also, If I do have birds eating eggs in my coop, it's always the hens. Roo hardly ever gets in on the act, and the hens only eat weak eggs. They are opportunistic. How much protein are you giving them in their feed, and are you giving them "treats"? If so, what? Are you giving them extra oyster shell on the side???

5. lalo navarro

Dec 31, 2016
    Fort Worth Texas
    I'll be completely honest I feed them leyna pellets the guy at the feed store this was probably the feed for them and some hen scratch also they get some tuna once a week plus they eat a lot of lettuce I have a patch of lettuce and they seem to love that place I've seen them eat a lot of bugs and snakes I let them free range most of the day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by