What do you think ?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by swheat, Nov 17, 2009.

1. swheat

swheat The Bantam Barn

Mar 18, 2008
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I am going to build an aviary and would like to have the following ducks: Mandarins, White-faced Tree ducks and Ringed Teal. Would these get along together ? I am planning a large aviary, so they would have plenty of room. Also I was trying to stay away from duck that would require permits, but give me a variety of color and that exotic feel. [​IMG]
    I also thought of placing Mac & Lucy(Blue & Gold MaCaws) in the setup too ! but would have to really secure it with heavy gauge wire.

2. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:I think you should look for the web site of American Waterfowl Breeders Association and see if they can help. I doubt there are many on here that have much experience with your last two breeds of ducks. as for the Macalls, maybe a zoo?

3. kawonu

kawonu Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2008
    Western North Carolina
    We have ring teals in with our mandarins and calls. They get along just fine.

4. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Our ring teals and mandarins get along fine, but I heard tree ducks can become very defensive during breeding season, and one story where a tree duck was so teritorrial that it shredded a ring teal [​IMG]

5. 1lpoock

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Maybe I was thinking something else because I found this: Most Whistling Ducks are quite tame and can be kept with other species of ducks in a large aviary. During the breeding season, their temperament changes and they can become aggressive - usually towards other species of Whistling Ducks.

good news for you!

6. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Might I ask your source? I am always looking for information about "wild" ducks.

7. 1lpoock

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by