What do you think?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by smk2010, Jul 30, 2010.

1. smk2010

smk2010 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2010
    For the past 2 weeks our egg production seems to have decrease. We normally get 4-6 eggs a day and this past week we have been getting only 1-3 eggs a day. We have a fairly good sized chicken coop with a large outdoor run and have 6 laying hens and about 10 five month old pullets housed there. I have people I normally sell to every week and I hate telling them, "Sorry no eggs this week". [​IMG] Is it possible to tell if the eggs are being eaten by the chickens or possibly a snake or a mouse/rat?

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thank You!

2. TurkeyMountainChickens

TurkeyMountainChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Has it been very hot where you live? Sometimes they sill stop laying in the heat. They will also lay less if they have a parasite (mites, etc.) so that is something to check for, too.

3. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Sometimes my chicken will peck their eggs, and when they do, there is a mess left behind. Pieces of shell, yucky, yolky nest bedding. The other eggs will be messy that are in the same nest box.

Sometimes I can get 6 eggs a day, other times, just one or two, and sometimes none.

4. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I think it could be a rat. [​IMG]

5. smk2010

Jan 25, 2010
    It was pretty hot here the past few weeks but they seemed to keep laying through the worst of it. Now that its cooling off a little my eggs have slowed down too. If they are eating them then they are eating the entire egg because I'm finding no shells or gooey yolk mess.

6. smk2010

Jan 25, 2010
    I've seen a few mice at night and a mole or two but no rats yet. Sure hope its not rats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by