What do you think?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by corabee, Dec 2, 2011.

1. corabee

corabee Out Of The Brooder

I thought I lost a silkie hen. I hadn't seen her in almost a week. Well, I went searching and found her in the woods sitting on a clutch of 15 eggs. She is a tiny banty and had built this deep nest so they all fit under her. I moved her into my brooding pen in the barn and put the eggs in a nest I made of hay. She settled down on them, but 15 eggs was too many for her tiny self. She tried and tried to move them all under her but inevitably 6 or 7 would pop out from under her. I decided to take 7 eggs and leave her with 8. I candled the 7 and they appear to be growing but maybe 5 or so days younger than what I currently have in the bator. I will try for a staggered hatch figuring at least they have a chance. I couldn't leave her outside with the eggs in the woods. It has been below freezing at night and we even got snow the other day. I am in W. Tennessee by the way. Besides the predators that could have eaten her at night. This is also her first time going broody.She is about 9 months old.
    So, would you have done the same thing? If not, what would you have done?

2. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    I would have done exactly the same thing!! That and pet her and tell her she's a good mama [​IMG]

Congrats on finding your sweet hen!!!

3. corabee

Thank you so much! I really love this little silkie and couldn't wait for one of them to go broody. It is funny, too. I bought 4 silkie eggs from a breeder and last night, day 10 in the bator, I had to toss them all! They were all clear and looked infertile. God gave me back my silkie eggs the very next day! How cool is that?

4. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    A wonderful gift indeed!! [​IMG]

I have 7 or 8 silkie eggs in the bator ... so excited for hatch! [​IMG]

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I would do the same thing too. Good luck... [​IMG]

6. stines4

stines4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Chatsworth
    i have 1 silkie in inc now that has piped and this is day 20 [​IMG] its talking to me lol

7. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Staggard hatches do work [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] How can you not at least give it a try [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. corabee

I am just so excited to give these eggs a chance. I would love to have a ton of fluffy little silkies!! I may also have some sizzles. I have a Frizzle rooster that mates her as well as the silkie rooster!!!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by