What do you think?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by plangley, Feb 12, 2014.

1. plangley

plangley Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2014
    [​IMG]
    These are our 4 week old chicks. We have 2 Easter Eggers, 2 New Hampshire Reds, and 2 Barred Rocks. There are all supposed to be pullets. What do you think?[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    It's a little early, about 6 wks of age would be better for guessing gender.
    The EEs appear to be female by coloration, I wouldn't be suspicious of them unless you see red feathers coming in on the shoulders.
    The BR looks dark like a female should.
    Can't give a good guess on the NH, there is no color difference between male and female at this age.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Nothing's screaming rooster at this point, but it's still to young to declare pullet with certainty.

4. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    x2
    I think you have some good signs right now that you've got pullets.
    I think the EE's are girls, typical female coloration, so unless something really changes (patch work coloring, red on wing bows), they will be girls, almost with certainty.
    I think your NHR are girls...combs are still nice and small and yellow (that breed tends to get big red combs fast with the roos)
    And I'm leaning to pullet with the barred...comb is a bit bigger, but still very yellow (BR pullets get large combs too), but watch out for the comb if it takes off and gets red fast and the overall coloring begins to wash out more silvery.

Lady of McCamley

5. chooks4life

chooks4life Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2013
    Australia
    The barred rock/s in the second and fourth pics I believe are male. Don't know if it's the same bird shown twice though. In the second and fourth pics, the buff ones I also think have at least one male between them, maybe both ---- but having said that I have no experience with that breed. The environment they're raised in, and their diet, impacts how quickly they develop, too, so it's rather impossible to say with certainty.

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    So far, I think that all of your birds are pullets. But post some more photos in a few weeks-- we'll have a better idea of the gender then.

7. CCCCCCCCHICKENS

CCCCCCCCHICKENS Overrun With Chickens

Dec 3, 2012
    Indiana
    no one looks like a cockerel now, but wait a few weeks and post again. They are still a little young

8. plangley

plangley Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2014
    Thank you alll for your input. We are enjoying our chicks very much. Can't wait until the snow is gone and their feathers are in so we can get them to their coop.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by