What do you treat your ducks with for parasite control?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by thedoors5to1, Sep 3, 2009.

1. thedoors5to1

thedoors5to1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    what is a good and effective way to treat my ducks for internal parasites and possible external? i'm interested in treating my ducks now to prevent anything from manifesting. They eat all sorts of "stuff" and tons of worms and slugs. You just never know so i'd rather prevent than treat, also how often should you give it to them, yearly ? monthly ? and prices too would help. thanks

Last edited: Sep 3, 2009
  2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    You can put food grade diatomacious earth in with their bedding and even add some to their food.

3. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Is that routinely necessary or just if there are problems. I've never seen anything that would make me think that I should do that. Am I missing something?

4. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I would only add it to the feed if there was a problem. Ducks usually don't need routine worming. The DE in the pen helps keep the fly population down, so I DO add that to the bedding regularly.

5. thedoors5to1

thedoors5to1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    thanks for your reply wifezilla, i will look into this food grade diatomacious earth... stuff. I've never heard of it. but thanks sounds great.

6. Wifezilla

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Just be aware there are 2 kinds. The food grade and one type used by pool filters. The pool filter stuff is VERY BAD! DO NOT use it for your critters.

7. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    I get bag of food grade DE at my local feed stores. It is $28 for 50 lbs. The stuff goes a LONG way. I probably won't have to buy anymore till next fall.

Call around to your feed stores and ask if they have food grade diatomacious earth (food grade DE)

8. Billy Biscuit

Billy Biscuit Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2009
    Parkes, Australia
    Just wondering, can anyone tell me how much would you add to their food for just 1 duck??
    Thanks...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by