What do you use as a waterer?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by vlapinta, May 30, 2010.

1. vlapinta

vlapinta Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    Toms River NJ
    Just curious what you are using as a waterer? My calls are 9 weeks old. I had the red plastic bottoms with mason jars for them but now they need something bigger.I have been using a few around their pen at one time. I was just wondering what most use so I can order something larger so I only have to clean one out.

Vicki

2. sayyadina

sayyadina Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    I have a 7 gallon plastic waterer made by Miller. It works well for my 16 ducklings & 2 goslings, though they are only 4 weeks old. They do come in 3 and 5 gallon sizes. I got mine at my feed store, but you can find the smaller ones online.

3. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I built one out of a plastic Alhambra water bottle. I cut fairly large holes opposite each other, so there were two places for the ducks to put their heads into it to drink and flush their nostrils and faces. It was kinda hard to cut through the plastic, but I used a hole drill bit and just kept cutting out overlapping circles. The openings are about one third of the way up the bottle from the bottom. I can stick a hose through the fence into the open top of the bottle and fill it that way, or shoot a big stream of water into one of the holes and swirl away a lot of the muck (of course it makes a puddle by the bottle but ducks love that).

[​IMG]

I also bought a "poultry fountain" and it's working fairly well for the ducks AND chickens, so I'm using it as an additional "hot weather" watering system and placing it in a shady part of the run. Couldn't find an example of it online to share, so I took some photos of mine.

Separated into its component parts for filling.
    [​IMG]

The jug is full and propped against the Alhambra bottle, because the "top" insert is rounded with a carrying handle. Notice the handle on the side of the insert, too. Clever. The base and jug have molded hollows and sticking out parts, so they lock into each other (I can't remember that that kind of interlocking system is called).
    [​IMG]

Here's how they look, filled and ready to place.
    [​IMG]

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I am using a couple of very large stainless steel mixing bowls, in addition to their concrete mixing pans. It is working out pretty well so far. The weight of the water keeps it from spilling, and by the time it is low enough to need more water, it is also dirty enough to need to be replaced. I use the old water for the plants around the duck yard. The plants are loving it!

5. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    I have two main waterers in my pen. One is a rubber dish about a foot wide and 3-4 inches deep. I bought it at rural king, but I forgot what it was actually meant for. The second is an old pot we couldn't use anymore. They type with a small handle on each side. I also have a deep skillet I fill up with water when I have youngsters. Besides those, I have repurposed dog bowls (cheap at the dollar store) and many other things. The don't make to much of a mess either. In our pen they have the grassy run and a fully enclosed and roofed pen part that is gravel. Don't have any problems at all. And I have perfectly happy and healthy ducks and chickens.

6. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    I use the rubber feed pans once they are old enough, because then they can wash too if need be.

7. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I use a dog waterer for my chickens. You can get it at Walmart for about $15. It's called Le Bistro, it is about 2 1/2 gallon water jug that sits on a base. I set the entire thing on a concrete block. When I'm finished with my baby ducks digs I will get one for them too. I also have the 1 gallon chicken waterer. They work well too. They make them larger. A feed store, Ace hardware and Best do it right hardware stores carry some farm supplies. Although, I suppose it depends where you live.

I tried to copy and paste a picture of the dog waterer but it wouldn't work.

8. vlapinta

vlapinta Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2010
    Toms River NJ
    I was looking at that dog waterer. Does it make a loud sound when the water comes out?
    Vicki

9. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    No. The air bubbles make it gurgle. The water comes out of a small hole which fills the reservoir. I don't have to refill the water everyday. You can try chicken waters they cost about the same if not more. There is a chicken waterer that is about a gallon. I have a couple of those on a concrete block too.

10. LAMchop

LAMchop Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    SW VA
    I use a 3-gallon Little Giant waterer for my 12 calls. I love it because the water level in the base is a lot lower than the lip of the base, so they can't make a huge mess by splashing water out. It also never gets muddy inside the reservoir- when the water in the base gets yucky I just pour that out and it refills with clean water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by