What do YOU use for a brooder?

Hennyhandler

SilkieJax
10 Years
Jun 10, 2009
Cullman
I am wanting to repurpose something into a brooder that will have sections divided out, like for example, different kinds of chicks or different aged chicks. I have seen some made from a flat bookshelf and each shelf is a section but I have yet to find one. I was wondering if there was any other ideas anyone knows about or have come up with themselves.

Thanks. I have been to the brooder page. The only thing is that a lot of them are built out of wood and I don't really want to build one right now. Others I have seen use plastic tubs but these won't be big enough or partitioned off.

I made a brooder out of an old entertainment center I had laying around (the side shelves broke in a move). Similar to your idea of using a bookshelf.

In the first picture I had left the doors on the lower portion, but then we decided we needed to see the chicks, so removed the doors and put a window over it. The brooder morphed many times - first we had a window over the second section, then switched it to a grate instead. As they got big, I put 1x1 posts on the corners and wrapped them with chicken wire to add a 'second story' (we were a little behind on getting the coop completed).
Good luck finding something to upcycle!

I use a store bought chicken coop I got from Tractor Supply. It comes with an elevated mesh floor over a removable tray so that the chicks don't have to walk around in their own poop. It's gone through two separate sets of litters (?) and is working great for the purpose.

I am wanting to repurpose something into a brooder that will have sections divided out, like for example, different kinds of chicks or different aged chicks. I have seen some made from a flat bookshelf and each shelf is a section but I have yet to find one. I was wondering if there was any other ideas anyone knows about or have come up with themselves.
Henny, How many chicks are you planning to brood at a time?

Last edited:
I repurposed a tv center also. It was on craigslist free section. It had sections but I took them out. It had nice deep sides like 24" deep and was 4x8 so lots of room. I added grating to the top from my gorilla shelves. I just use them when I need them and then put them back :)

I am using an aquarium right now for the 9 chicks I just hatched, I will transfer them to a pantry we had in the kitchen when we remodeled. This pantry is about 7 ft. x 2ft with 18in sides,laying down it makes for alot of room. I will section it off so the chicks will have room under the heat light, and also some room to play and eat.

I just turned the old porta crib into one. Only had to add hardware cloth. It truely fits for my babies! Its smaller than a full size crib but big enough to be sectioned off if I want and it is on wheels.

Back
Top Bottom