1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do you use for breeding pens?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MarineCorpFarmr, Sep 17, 2012.

1. MarineCorpFarmr

MarineCorpFarmr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2012
    AL/TN Stateline
    My Coop
    Well as our mixed breed flock is maturing now, we need to start making some preparations to build breed specific breeding runs. So yall, show me what you've got & what you use. Ill start listing the breeds we have in my signature when i get a chance to mess with it.

2. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I use pens like this. They are mobile and suitable for holding a single pair or hen only. With hen only, she is allowed to have relations with rooster in similar pen near by every third day. Pens are light enough to move about a lot but also too light to resist persistant predators so dog required to defend area.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. TNBlacktails

TNBlacktails Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2012
    Union County Tennessee
    Do you think I could bread a japenese bantam with a game hen ?

4. MarineCorpFarmr

Mar 9, 2012
    AL/TN Stateline
    My Coop
    Sure with a banty game hen id assume. But why? For fun? It would be cool to see what that combo produces :)

5. TNBlacktails

TNBlacktails Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2012
    Union County Tennessee
    Yea the lil bantam roo is grey and got and black and the game hen I want ot breed him with is WHITE ! and got a little black here and there .

6. MarineCorpFarmr

Mar 9, 2012
    AL/TN Stateline
    My Coop
    That would be an interesting combo. Well ive been looking and i think i am going to do breeding pens a bit bigger. 6x12 i think tractor style. thinking 4 hens and a roo per pen

7. RWD

RWD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Wartrace TN.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are what I use, and sell. There are two different sizes, 6x10 and 6x14.

8. MarineCorpFarmr

Mar 9, 2012
    AL/TN Stateline
    My Coop
    Normally I build everything, but out of curiosity how much do you sell them for?

9. RWD

RWD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    Wartrace TN.
  10. MarineCorpFarmr

Mar 9, 2012
    AL/TN Stateline
    My Coop
    Very nice. But I have the skills and materials to build my own. I know a few people im going to link to your page tho. Thanks man. I got some specialty things i have to build in to anything i use here, mainly being horse proof and no step. With 4 horses here they can get into ALOT of trouble real fast.
    -J

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by