What do you use for nesting boxes? Pictures, please?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bayyjayy, Sep 27, 2011.

1. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    And, what do you use as bedding? Thoughts on what you have used before and now?

2. FarmrGirl

FarmrGirl MooseMistress

Jul 1, 2009
    Southern Maryland
    OK, Bayyjayy... I'll post it here also [​IMG]

The current (temporary) nest boxes are about 16x18 and 8-10 inches deep. A good size. They're this style but made from wood:
    [​IMG]

I got them when AC Moore was selling their used merchandise bins for $2 each so I picked up several to use in my basement as potato and onion storage bins (they stack). When I built the duck barn I didn't get the nestboxes built into the side before the girls started laying so I threw those in until I finished up. 2 years later, I still don't have my fancy nest boxes built! LOL! I'm planning the rollout nests so that they eggs don't get all gross when another girl climbs in, walks her dirty feet all over the other eggs before she lays hers.

Roll-out nest boxes are awesome! It's a fairly simple concept. Your nest boxes just need to tilt slightly and be lined with something that isn't an obstruction. Then when the girl lays, the egg rolls into a tray area where it's out of the nest and ready to be gathered! The idea is to make the roll away portion inaccessable to the girls, that keeps their grimy feet off my clean eggs!

Here are some idea pics I've been gathering:

Note the astroturf liner, cheap to buy, easy egg roll, easy to clean or replace
    [​IMG]

nice egg-catcher
    [​IMG]

It doesn't get any easier than that!!
    [​IMG]

of course, you can buy them premade also
    [​IMG]

3. bayyjayy

bayyjayy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Utah
    WOW...it DOESN'T get any easier than that, does it? Amazing! Learn something new everyday!

Thanks for posting and sharing that with the rest of us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by