What do you use for ticks and lice? And how do you apply it to your. .

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KauAnnie, Jul 20, 2011.

1. KauAnnie

KauAnnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    What do you use for ticks and lice and how do you apply it to your chickens.

I suspect that one of my small silkies have lice but I dont know for sure. So I would like to clean them and theyre area just to be sure.

Thanks!

2. groundpecker

groundpecker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2011
    Rison, Arkansas
    Poultry protector, poultry dust, and i have even heard of washing with cat flea shampoo. Be sure to also clean out the whole coop area, run, nest boxes and spray the entire area with a safe pest solution. (remove your birds first)

3. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

The first video on this link is so adorable! It looks like the chicken enjoys it. I think it is from England or Australia, because they call DE 'Diatom'. DE is another thing you can use to dust your chicks. Haven't seen all the examples on this link---it was the first one that I had seen awhile back.

http://www.brooklynfeed.com/2011/05/dusting-your-chicken-for-mites/

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  4. Echobabe

Echobabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    I use food grade Diatomaceous Earth. I put it in their nests, their food and sprinkle it on the wood shavings in their coop. This keeps a lot of parasites down.

5. KauAnnie

KauAnnie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Maui
    And its fine for them (and us) to inhale this?

6. Echobabe

Echobabe Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    The food grade is safe for us. I am asthmatic so I am very careful about dust. You don't need to use a lot on the floor. I sprinkle it on the roosts, too, to kill any mites. It is finely ground up fossilized sea shells. The sharp edges cut the soft underbellies of insects, dehydrating them to death. I keep some in the feed so I don't get moth larva. You can apply it directly on your pets, I just try to apply it so the dust doesn't go directly in their face. I use it in my garden as well.

The non-food grade DE is full of silica. DO NOT use that! I spread it throughout my house years ago to control fleas and it my lungs were a mess!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by