1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what do you use for worms (your quails that is) :)

Discussion in 'Quail' started by rita2paul, Mar 24, 2017.

1. rita2paul

rita2paul Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    hi i have noticed my 4 week old quails gaping so i know this is the sign of gape worm.
    what do you all use for worming quails.
    what i don't understand is how have they got this as the have gone from a brooder to a cage which is brand new, it's off the floor so they don't have access to the ground as yet.

2. Binki

Binki Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2015
    Ontario, Canada

Hey there, are you sure they're not just panting from being warm? I don't have experience with worms but I think you could also check the droppings?

3. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    They do sometimes look like they are panting, mouth open, throat flickering (for want of a better word). They aren't hot, sometimes it's a sign of stress, sometimes I think it's a form of communication between them or something like that. Don't worry, we were a bit concerned when we got our first quail and saw them doing that.

4. rita2paul

Aug 31, 2011
    thank you all for your response, i do think it's gape worm, my chickens has had it recently and i have given them fluvenet to de-worm them but i don't know what to give the quails, not all of them have it, i have noticed 3 of them gaping and throwing the head back each time they do the gape which is what my chickens do when they have it.
    do you de-worm your quails if so what with?

5. JaeG

JaeG Overrun With Chickens

Sep 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    You may have to ask a vet but generally chicken worming medication is safe for quail, you just have to work out the dosage rate for the quail. Weigh your quail and work out the average weight to base the dosage rate on.

1 person likes this.
  6. rita2paul

Aug 31, 2011
    thank you, i have got some ivermectin so i think i might use that, it will be a little easier as its drops on the neck, it's made for pigeons but i have used it for my chickens before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by