1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do you use in your coops and nesting boxes?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by pattee, Jun 7, 2008.

1. pattee

pattee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    I have been putting straw and chips in my coop (mostly straw) I thought that was the best thing for them (?)... and the nesting boxes what have you all found to be the best thing to put in them? Newspaper, straw, chips, old clothes??? [​IMG]

It seems I have so much straw and chips it gets hard for them to scratch. [​IMG]

My chicks are 6 weeks old.
    Thanks~ [​IMG]

2. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    I have found that a plastic milk crate works great for nest boxes. They are the right size for most hens and easy to clean. I fill mine with pine chips, when it is time to clean them, pick them up and take them outside, dump any droppings and dirty
    chips, replace and fill back up.

3. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    pine shavings. [​IMG]

4. pattee

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    Pine shaving in both coop and boxes? Hmmmm not straw at all huh? [​IMG]

5. Dilly

Dilly Cooped Up

Apr 15, 2008
    Yep only pine shavings. No straw.

6. pattee

Apr 18, 2008
    Seattle Washington
    LOL: yiipchick
    Now I've got ask why?[​IMG]

7. karrie

karrie Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2008
    I use lots of hay/straw. They dig a big hole in it & sit. Kinda custom made!

8. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    I hate pine shavings. I find them to be messy and hard to compost. I only use straw and have had no problems with mites or whatever. The spilled straw rakes up easily and can be used as mulch.

I only use pines shavings with my chicks, and breath a sigh of relief when they're out of my life!
    [​IMG]

9. panner123

panner123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Garden Valley, ca
    Quote:Much easier to clean up and the poop drys out faster. This in the nest boxes gives you cleaner eggs. Using the milk crates makes that a snap. In the winter time put about four inches on the floor of the coop gives them something to play. It doesn't get moldy and smell the way straw does.

10. bmarshgu

bmarshgu Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2008
    I am a first time chicken owner and have read a lot of literature that says not to use straw because it can easily mold. All the books that I have read say to use wood shavings. Definitely stay away from hay!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by