What do you use to bait your trap(s)?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Chicken.Lytle, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

I saw a pic today that included a trap baited with a couple eggs. I do not want to teach the local predators to eat eggs since they have not started. I have used various kinds of leftovers and cat food. The only thing that failed was a piece of squash coveted by the chickens .

What do you use to bait your trap(s)?

2. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    Depends on what I'm trying to catch! I've used the internal organs/necks from butchered chickens, hotdogs, dry cat food, marshmallows, and dead fish. I've caught 'possums, raccoons, a bobcat, the neighbor's cat, and a buzzard (which I promptly let go!).

I've caught snakes simply by laying rolled up bird netting around the outside of the hen house. They try to crawl through the holes and get stuck.

Kathy in Texas
    www.ChickenTrackin.com
    www.CountryChickens.com

3. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Best bait I've found for Coons, Possums, & Skunks, is a can of tuna. They can't resist it.

4. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    One of those cans of stinky catfood tuna.

5. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

dry cat food for me
    I buy a 3lb bag of grocery store cheap stuff and keep it in the truck (so it's not attracting preds by my coop, but always handy for baiting traps)

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    on the bottom shelf at the grocery store they sell canned fish jack mackerel it is cheap and works well also when I process birds I use the scraps as well. I do not think you need to educate preds eggs just have a sight appeal I have used golf balls to catch coons with they work too if you are trying to keep cats out of your traps that and molasses

7. Tiss

Tiss Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Georgia
    I use canned cat food.

8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I do not want to teach the local predators to eat eggs

If they take the bait, you won't be teaching them anything.
    And they instinctively know what is food anyway

I prefer cheap sardines or fish steaks packed in oil.

You can pour some of the oil to make a trail leading into the trap, and the scent carries a long way​

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  9. mxpres

mxpres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Lenoir,NC
    Quote:If they take the bait, you won't be teaching them anything.

You can pour some of the oil to make a trail leading into the trap, and the scent carries a long way

If the raccoons do take the eggs as bait you won't be teaching them to eat eggs,,that will be their last meal anyway,unless you relocate them to be someone elses problem

10. Chicken.Lytle

Chicken.Lytle Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:If they take the bait, you won't be teaching them anything.

You can pour some of the oil to make a trail leading into the trap, and the scent carries a long way

If the raccoons do take the eggs as bait you won't be teaching them to eat eggs,,that will be their last meal anyway,unless you relocate them to be someone elses problem

I do not leave eggs out for very long. If I leave an egg in a trap, I fear that any slightly smart predator will target the coop instead of the run. Obviously the dumb ones will be on the receiving end of natural selection....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by