1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do you use to collect eggs?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by popcornpuppy, Dec 19, 2009.

1. popcornpuppy

popcornpuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Holland, Massachusetts
    I am not sure what topic to post this under, so I hope it fits in here.

Right now, I have 28 laying pullets with more on their way to laying age. I'm getting 15 to 19 eggs a day and I use an Easter pail to collect my eggs. It holds 15 eggs nicely but I am sure I will need something larger in the future. I like to have something with handles and was looking for suggestions.
    What do you use?

2. Fuzzy_Hat_Farm

Fuzzy_Hat_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Maryland
    Wire golfball baskets I got from the dollar store. They hold LOTS of eggs!

3. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    I use empty supplement pails with handles to collect our eggs. I put fresh pine shavings in the bottom and they do fine. I also keep the top and use it to keep them from tipping out when I set the pail down to do other things in the coop. Also keeps the eggs dry if raining out that day.

4. aussieheelr

aussieheelr Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a nice wicker basket that I got from Habitat for Humanity on their sale day... all baskets were $0.25. It should hold upto a doz or so. And once everyone starts to lay I'll have 11 layers.

5. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Usually I only get a few, so they go in my pockets, but when I'm getting more than will fit (like today [​IMG] ) I use a small basket I got from Walmart in the craft section. It was like $3. I only have 8 hens of laying age right now, so only need a small basket.

I had started a egg basket thread a while back. People posted pics
    Here are some more:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=275229

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=228606
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=156207&p=2

6. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I have a rollout nest and I keep egg cartons on top of it in the storage area of my coop. It's a simple matter to take the eggs from the trays and place them in the cartons.

7. fordmommy

fordmommy Dancing With My Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Go to your local Goodwill. They have LOTS of stuff you could use. Wicker baskets or plastic baskets. Whatever you think best for you. [​IMG]

8. dipence71

dipence71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Murrayville, IL
    Quote:I have wicker basket I got at goodwill but the other day I am out there and just put em in my coat pockets...Well I just kept doing that ..until I forgot about them in my pocket and bent over to fill the waterer and hear craaaacccckkkkk...OMG what a mess I had broken egg in my coat pocket...luckily only one broke out of 8....oops

9. popcornpuppy

popcornpuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Holland, Massachusetts
    Quote:I have wicker basket I got at goodwill but the other day I am out there and just put em in my coat pockets...Well I just kept doing that ..until I forgot about them in my pocket and bent over to fill the waterer and hear craaaacccckkkkk...OMG what a mess I had broken egg in my coat pocket...luckily only one broke out of 8....oops

I hear you! My husband has done that. That's why I insist on using a basket. He's dropped a couple of eggs on occasion as well.

10. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I use a 4 year old. He's enthusiastic and always says, "ooohhhh they're so cute!!", which is a little disturbing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by