What do YOU use to collect your eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BriColie, Feb 16, 2017.

1. BriColie

BriColie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2017
    Cabool
    Hello everyone! We are super excited at the BriColie Homestead today as we have new layers from our first flock & pullets. :D

We have 3 buff Orpington (Claire, Katie aka Freckles, & Marida - though, i can't tell them apart except for Freckles because she has little black markings on her tail feathers, so i call the other 2 mama most of the time), 1 barred rock (Blue), 2 rir (one called Red & the other Ginger - you can only now tell them apart from their back feathers, so if we see them together it's usually, "there go the red sisters." lol), & 1 silkie rooster (originally suppose to be a hen until he started crowing...his name was Honey, but now is Roger - as in, "hi, welcome to the neighborhood"-Roger off the old kids show bc he reminded us of an old man lol...& man is it funny to watch him trying to mate the oringtons that are about twice his size!)

Well, now we have 1 mystery layer, laying every other day, & Freckles with her...today we got 2 more new layers...our noisest layer so far, Claire (maybe Marida??), & Blue, our quiet one.

So, my question is to you...what do YOU use to collect your little nuggets of gold?? Today i just used a box with some hay, i tried to keep them all separated right now because my hubby knows how excited i get about eggs & i wanted to show him. ;)

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  2. BriColie

BriColie Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2017
    Cabool
    [​IMG]

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Spring Dreaming Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I shove them in my pockets, and if there's more than that I use my shirt as a basket.

Congratulations, I never grow tired of collecting eggs.

4 people like this.
  4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Nothing cute or fancy here. I have a rolling bowl system. A bowl sets on the kitchen counter for scraps. When it gets full it goes to the coop. The next day, I collect the empty bowl and put the eggs in it. I have 2-3 stainless steel bowls I use for this.

Otherwise, the shirt is great. I'm leery of pockets, though...too many pocket omelettes have been made here [​IMG]

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Spring Dreaming Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I like to live dangerously.[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    I've done just about anything - I have had an egg basket, that I sometimes actually remembered to use - but more often it's a matter of dropping them in a feed scoop, my purse, a coat pocket, my shirt pulled up to make a basket, etc. Just depends on how many eggs I'm trying to carry. Playing it by ear can lead to some fun times -- like having an egg in your pocket, forgetting and leaning over to pick something up....CRACK/SPLAT -- or the day I got to work and realized I had an egg in my purse.

1 person likes this.
  7. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    If I'm wearing the sweatshirt I wear for gardening and mucking around in, I shove them in my pockets. Otherwise I just carry them in my hands. I can carry 3 or 4 and still kick open the front door and shoulder the fridge door open.

If I had more birds I'd get a basket.

8. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    You'd be amazed how many you can find a way to carry -- my last flock was averaging 15-18 a day at the height of production....still only remembered to grab the basket about 1/3 of the time.

9. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I have had the same problem! [​IMG]

I have an egg basket that I occasionally remember to bring out to collect eggs. When I forget that, I have plastic containers that I use to collect kitchen scraps and use the same way Donrae does with her "rolling bowl" system. I have also used my pockets, shirt, or small box. Depends on the day and what's available.

10. Cluckcluck1215

Cluckcluck1215 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 21, 2016
    Cat Lover
    My Coop
    I use my pockets,I had used a basket but they rolled around and CRACK

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by