What do you use to keep the girls out of the veg garden?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by msjones, Sep 19, 2009.

1. msjones

msjones Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2009
    Seattle
    I love my new chickens. I love to let them out when I can.

They love my vegetable garden. The carrot tops, the lettuce seedlings, the cherry tomatoes, the cucumbers (probably their favorite). Mmm, mmm, good. It's like a chicken buffet. [​IMG]

I put plastic poultry netting around it to keep them out for the time being, but that's not too pretty.

What have you used that looks okay? I'm not terribly picky, but wonder if there's some kind of fencing that would look better and not cost too, too much. (The garden is about 20 x 10 feet.)

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    most of us use the plastic poultry netting. Yeah... it's not pretty but it does the job.

3. fasbendera

fasbendera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Midwest
    Fence or stand guard. Mine LOVE tomatoes.

4. GardeNerd

GardeNerd Chillin' With My Peeps

We have a picket fence to keep them out. I had to rebuild it this summer to make the spaces between the pickets too tight for the hens to squeeze through.

5. Big C

Big C J & C Farms

Dec 15, 2008
    Vernon Texas
    Fence

6. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    My DH built me a fence around the vegetable garden for my birthday this spring. We had the best garden in YEARS this season. And foiled the naughty hens...

[​IMG]

ETA: This fence cost about $120. My garden is 10x14. It's just lumber (4x4 and 2x4) and 2x3 green coated welded wire.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2009
  7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Electric mesh fencing in dark green. I have electric fencing all over my property, but it is usually white. The dark green blends in with the terrain very well. All the animals have learned that mesh fencing means "Stay Away!" Very effective.

8. cristy17

cristy17 Chillin' With My Peeps

My 3 dogs make sure the chickens stay in their "area" and if they stray, the dogs herd them back.

9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I had to put a fence around mine..the greedy little beasts! [​IMG]

10. msjones

msjones Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2009
    Seattle
    Quote:Pretty garden! It looks great. We could do something like that for even less, since the garden is already bordered by a fence on one side. Thanks for the picture!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by