what do you use to put fermented feed out - avoiding spillage

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Celticdragonfly, Jun 13, 2019.

1. Celticdragonfly

Celticdragonfly Crowing

May 17, 2018
    Saginaw, TX
    So I'm going to try to start making fermented feed. For their regular feed they still have one of the little chick feeders. When I've put out a regular bowl for anything, like grit, they tip it over pretty quickly. What makes a good feed dish? I was looking at the metal ones that screw to a cage side, but people had pretty bad reviews.

2. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Crowing

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    Do your chickens free range at all? I just plop mine on the grass and whatever they don't eat I water into the yard and they eat it again as sprouted seed! After a few days I'll rake up whatever is left and toss it on the compost pile.

For my pullets I just sacrificed a decent weight ceramic dinner plate. If you're attached to all of yours hit up the Goodwill or a thrift store and buy a few glass casserole dishes; they are heavy and can be periodically sanitized in the dishwasher or with boiling water.

My girls love their FF. They're laying every day and the eggs are just gorgeous. My mother in law pays 6.49 a dozen for pasture raised hen eggs that aren't nearly as big!

Best of luck!

3. Perris

Perris Crowing

Jan 28, 2018
    Gower, Wales
    I use the base of a regular conical feeder; it will tip if one stands on the edge when it's near empty but they eat up any spillage. Anything with a wide bottom and some heft should do - though not metal as the ff may react with it!

4. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Crowing

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    Ditto the metal. Metal and FF have a nasty chemical reaction!

trumpeting_angel likes this.
  5. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Crowing

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    Good morning, @Perris ! How are things in the beautiful UK today?

6. Celticdragonfly

Celticdragonfly Crowing

May 17, 2018
    Saginaw, TX
    Ah, THANK you for the warning against metal, that had not occurred to me.

Henriettamom919 likes this.
  7. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Free Ranging

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    I use cat food dishes sitting up on a few bricks, spread around the run in the morning so there's no fighting over it. They clean up easily and even if the chickens knock them over they'll eat up all the spilled feed anyhow.

8. Perris

Perris Crowing

Jan 28, 2018
    Gower, Wales
    good morning @Henriettamom919 ! sadly wet and cool - a complete change from this time last year :( It's been crazy this year, with snow and then temps of 21 C in Feb, and now temps around 10 in June! Could be worse though - I see many in the US suffering floods and the polar vortex earlier, and now killer gnats!... How is it where you are?

Henriettamom919 likes this.
  9. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Crowing

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    It's 90degrees Fahrenheit and feels like sitting in a clothes dryer full of wet, hot towels! :tongue We had an awful winter, too! In February we were sitting in nearly 2 ft of snow which is super rare for this area, being so close to saltwater!

Thankfully we don't have the gnats here, just one three legged fat raccoon that eats dog food and chases other raccoons away from my property. She's been around about five years now and actually watches out for my cats and chickens!

The birds of prey have been pretty aggressive this year, lots of juveniles trying to hunt my babies. Thankfully we're outside so much they've pretty much moved on.

trumpeting_angel and Perris like this.
  10. blackdog043

blackdog043 Crowing

Feb 19, 2017
    Charlotte, NC
    I use mineral feeders from tractor supply. I made key hole slots in them so I can hang and remove them easy.

mineral feeder with key hole slots.jpg

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: