What do you use to remove skunk smell of your dog

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by 2468Chickensrgr8, Nov 7, 2008.

1. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    We have lived here for over two years now and never seen a skunk ...smelled them once or twice....... but last night we seen two..just waddling across the lawn at dusk...it was foggy out ......Luckily the dogs were not around (retriever and lab)...we have two dogs who LOVE to chase critters.....SOOOOO now I am going to get prepared as I know the day is coming........long hair....YUCK.....So my Question to y'all is what are some of your home remidies that you use to remove the lovely smell of skunk from your dogs.....Merci

2. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

We have house dogs, and a baby skunk kept getting them until they finally got it... We used this recipe:

1 qt. hydrogen peroxide
    1/2 cup baking soda
    2 tsp dish washing detergent

It works pretty well.

3. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    I use the Peroxide with baking soda and dish soap. But I don't remember the amounts. If you google it you can get the amounts. It works better than any of the other remedies I have tried.

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    THAT's the one I use [​IMG]

5. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    baking soda mixed with peroxide with oxygenate the area and remove the scent. It is really effective and safe for animals (don't let them ingest it). The best part is the skunk smell is gone and there is no other smell to replace it (i.e. tomato).

Good luck.

6. BeardedChick

Jinx, Peeps, you owe me a coke!

7. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    my neighbor's dog just caught a skunk and they 'febreezed' him. i am not sure what the outcome was. i know he slept in the barn for a few nights![​IMG]

8. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    tomato juice

9. BeardedChick

Ewww, I hate febreeze (can't take strong smells). Febreeze + skunk sounds atrocious!

10. Oblio13

Oblio13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Another vote for peroxide/baking soda/detergent.

Tomato juice doesn't work.

Trust me, I'm an expert, having been personally skunked as a tadpole. Some of my earliest memories are of my dad burying my clothes in the back yard, and of being very unpopular at school for a couple days.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by