What do you use...

Knighstar679

Crowing
Jun 12, 2018
Seneca Falls, NY
What do you use for nesting boxes for you ducks?

my Welsh Harlequin seem to like the totes well enough as we find about 75% of their eggs in them. But my Aztecs seem to be on the hunt for a better place to lay their eggs. We keep finding them in places were twigs and grass weeds are.

I am thinking of trying 5 gallon buckets but would it also help if I added straw or hay to them?

I use a purpose built nesting box with two levels of four or so boxes each and a roosting bar on top. They only use the bottom boxes, and prefer the ones with curtains. Hens do like straw to lay on. I'm hoping to try a new nesting box that uses fake grass and the eggs roll away; the hens are supposed to love it and the eggs should stay clean.

Always use something to cushion the fall of the eggs to prevent breakage and egg eating. Straw or pine shavings are best.

If you have ducks that don't like the crates, maybe they are in the wrong place? Some ducks like their nests hidden as far as possible from view.

You could also make your own nests if you are handy, or buy some.

Always use something to cushion the fall of the eggs to prevent breakage and egg eating. Straw or pine shavings are best.

If you have ducks that don't like the crates, maybe they are in the wrong place? Some ducks like their nests hidden as far as possible from view.

You could also make your own nests if you are handy, or buy some.

I just acquired some hay to add to the nesting boxes. I also am going to take and try to move the nesting boxes. I also have acquired a few new containers to use for a few new options

Back
Top Bottom