1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What do you vaccinate chickens for regularly?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by daze333, Jan 26, 2009.

1. daze333

daze333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2008
    Port Angeles, WA
    I have recently had to cull my flock because they had ILT. I now have 24 healthy chicks in my garage. I will vaccinate them with the modified live vaccine for ILT at 4 wks and boost them later.

This got me thinking if you "should" vaccinate for anything else?

My flock is generally in a coop and run and once a day let out for a couple of hours to free range on 1 1/2 acres. I have 3 neighbors who have backyard flocks and of course, lots of wild birds. This is where I think the ILT came from. I live in Northwest Washington. I know there is ILT here. What else can wild birds carry? How can I find out if breakouts of anything else are in this area?

Don't get me wrong, I do not want to overmedicate and weaken my flock's immune system, but I would just hate to vaccinate for ILT then have to cull my flock because of IB or something!!

Could I have some opinions please?

2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
  3. daze333

daze333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2008
    Port Angeles, WA
    Thank you for the links. What do other Washingtonians vaccinate for?

Also the 24 chicks I have now I incubated, so they have no vaccinations currently.

I plan to buy some more chicks from McMurray. Do I need to worry about my current chicks getting infected by something the hatchery chicks might be vaccinated for?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by