WHAT DO YOU WISH YOU KNEW THE 1ST TIME???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by DouglasPeeps, Jan 9, 2009.

1. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    I have a Little Giant, still air incubator, model 9200 that was given to me. I am looking at both an egg turner and forced air fan kit.

My plan is to incubate eggs in the next couple of weeks. I have done quite a bit of reading here on numerous threads. ..... But, what should I know? What do you wish you would have known the first time you incubated eggs? Any suggestions or helpful hints would be great!

2. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    emperature should be 100'F for forced-air incubators and 102'F for
    still-air incubators.
    Check the temperature by placing the hatching thermometer at the same
    height as the top
    of the eggs would be. The heat source should be adjusted if needed.

Humidity should be 58-60% from day one to day 18 and should be
    increased to 65% from day
    18 to day 21. This is important to prevent moisture loss in eggs.
    Air vents should be opened slowly as chicks begin hatching for proper
    ventilation.
    Eggs should ideally be turned four to six times daily, but two or
    three times daily will
    suffice. Turning an odd number of times per day is best. Turn the eggs
    until day 18, and
    then do not turn any more -- turning after day 18 could injure the
    chick.
    Forced-air incubators have automatic turners.
    Eggs in still-air incubators must be turned by hand. Use the X and O
    marking technique to
    help keep the turning correct.
    Always make sure hands are clean before handling eggs or chicks.
    hatching on day 21

3. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    for the fan you can use a old PC fan out of a old computer, and to make a turner all you have to do if you can not buy one, is instead of putting water in ,put sponges in then put water on them and take a brick and place it on the under side on outside, on onside for three hour then move it to other side three hours later. i have a LG with alto turner/ fan kit, and that is what i did till i got the fan/and turner

4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I wish I had known about dry incubation befor I attempted my first hatch [​IMG] It changed my hatch rates alot!

5. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    the first time I incubated eggs I was afraid I would kill the chicks if the temp got above 100:rolleyes:

6. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:Can you please explain what this is?

7. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I wish I knew that the Hygrometer was just as important in the incubation process as any other thing you use. Not only that but you can alway check you hygrometer and calibrate it properly or at least be aware that the reading is off and make the necessary adjustment.

8. millebantam

millebantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2008
    Little Rhody
    I wish I had started hatching with a fan (forced air) hatcher. Since I installed a fan in my hatcher, my hatch rates are always around 90% or better with my eggs and at least 75% with shipped eggs. I used to struggle to get 60 or 70%. The only difference in the improved hatches was the installation of the fan. The moving air gives a constant, even temp throughout the bator, and eliminates thermal layering of the air. I will NEVER hatch in a still air hatcher or bator again.

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    For chickens, I wish I would have known that staggered hatches in one bator is not a good idea!!

For quail, I wish I knew that 'same as chickens' meant same as chickens should be, not dry like I was doing the chickens!! Only got 3 babies from 60 eggs!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  10. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, I did tons of research before I tried to incubate, so I "knew" everything (haha). Apparently "knowing" and getting something through my thick skull are not the same thing! It took me a while to figure out that the less I messed with the adjustments on my bator and the less I opened it, etc, the better my hatches would be.

Also, the dry incubation method (search it on here) has made a huge difference for me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by