What do YOUR guineas like to eat? (was guineas -- feeding, treats?)

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Shiloh Acres, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Shiloh Acres

Shiloh Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2010
    I have 6 guineas (supposed to be female) that are about 2-1/2 months old. I started them on chick starter, which seemed fine with them. They have a large pen outside that has become bare ground, but they usually let themselves out of it as soon as I open the coop. We've had a bumper year for grasshoppers. The guineas spend a little time in the am on their garden duty, then head next door, or into the cow pasture or goat pasture, into the woods by the barn, across the road, or who knows where. Usually I can't find them and have no idea where they are. So far they always come home in the evening.

They seem to appreciate their water being filled, but just scratch the starter into the ground. I tried hen scratch too. They eat very little of it, if any. I've offered them a taste of just about everything I can. They will eat a few llama pellets and as much watermelon as I will give them. Otherwise, they are eating grass and (mostly) chasing grasshoppers.

Do I need to be concerned, or is this enough for them. More importantly, what about when the weather cools and there are no more grasshoppers? I'd rather if I could offer them something to keep them coming home and to be assured they are eating enough in the winter.

Thinking in terms of chickens, geese, ducks this sounds like a silly question, but I'm finding the guineas to be a bit weird. [​IMG]

thanks!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  2. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    this is probably a bit too much pampering for the silly things, but my guineas go NUTS for WET chick starter. I make mine into a mush with water and they will literally peck my hands off to get to it. [​IMG] Mine are only 5 weeks old, YMMV. [​IMG]

3. tomingreeneco

tomingreeneco Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Greene County, PA
    For a treat mine love the dried meal worms. Many companies sell them on-line.

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    My guineas won't eat treats either! [​IMG] ??? [​IMG]

5. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    my guineas will eat but don't go nuts for mealworms either. They just kinda run around like 'where's the real food'???

They do LOVE LOVE grapes and scrambled egg. Keep in mind they are housed with same age chicks so they may just be imitating the chick behavior (does that happen?). And of course, the aforementioned mushy chick starter. The dry starter they just rummage through and toss everywhere!!

6. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Mine seem not to thrilled with scratch. I tried giving them watermelon and they would eat it but not off the plate.

7. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    My guineas aren't too thrilled with scratch either [​IMG]
    They only thing they kinda pick at is corn of the cob. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2010
  8. Shiloh Acres

Jul 16, 2010
    LOL mine don't like corn ON the cob or otherwise.

Ok well .... I'll try the ones I haven't tried yet. Thanks everyone! Sounds like there is no universal guinea treat. I KNEW they were weird. I just hope I can keep them fed with SOMEthing (besides watermelon) through the winter!

Still open to any new suggestions. I think I should change the title of the thread to "what do YOUR guineas like to eat?"

9. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    A universal Guinea treat is millet. They may not hop on it immediately since they are very suspicious of anything new but once they try it they're hooked.

Those that are feeding any other treats like veggies or fruit and have a garden could end up with Guineas helping themselves to whatever is growing in the garden. It is generally thought that if you don't grow it then it can be tried as a treat.

10. Shiloh Acres

Jul 16, 2010
    Thanks for the warning, Robin. Mine hang out in the garden (that's one main reason I got them) for a little while each day. I haven't given them peppers or tomatoes (most of what I'm growing this summer) but hopefully next year they can't break into watermelons LOL.

Actually I started the scratch because it has millet in it and I thought they liked it? It's the round, red kind. They peck at it here and there but look at me like "is that all you've got?" Now, some of it sprouted and they went crazy for it in the short-grass stage.

Maybe just MY guineas are weird!

And I'm down to five. One was dead in the coop. No sign of snake, swelling, injury, or illness. They are penned in the backyard right now. With them ranging around, I wonder if they ate sprayed grass or insects. No idea why I lost one. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by