What do your hens do to beat the heat?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Uppity Peon, Jun 19, 2009.

1. Uppity Peon

Uppity Peon Songster

My neighbor's hens tend to retreat to the briar patch and lake lots of dust baths. Mine don't have that much freedom yet but their run is shaded by trees and they have a couple excavations going. I love to watch them squrm around and kick dirt on themselves!

(edit to change the subject line slightly)

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:haha I think you just answered your own question [​IMG]

3. *GEL*

*GEL* In the Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Indiana
    I let my hens out to free range about noon daily and luckily there is a LOT of shade and places they can retreat to in the yard that are MUCH cooler than the air temp. I put ice cubes in their waterer if it gets past 90 and they do seem to like to dust bathe a lot as well. I have heard of people freezing water in 2 liter bottles and puttin around so they can lay next to them and cool off.

Love the post on here about fans where the lady said one of her roos would stand in front of the fan and spread his wings like..'AHHHHH'. Love that mental image! [​IMG]

4. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    We go to the dust spa - we've got the best dust around!

[​IMG]

5. Our flock likes to take dust baths (I can't believe the size of some of the holes they can dig!! [​IMG]), but during the hottest part of the day they are lounging in the coop taking naps.

[​IMG] Oh to live such a life!! I wish I could nap the afternoon away!!

6. Mrs.ChickChick

Mrs.ChickChick Songster

May 23, 2009
    North central Illinois
    My little girls (almost 7 weeks) have been outside in the coop for the last few days and are really enjoying their new run. It still has all the grass and plants in it. Today was hot & humid here, and when I walked by the run, I didn't see a single chicken! Scared me at first. Then I saw the daylily leaves moving. All 8 of them were under my gigantic daylily, just lounging in the shade.

They only came out when I brought them cold watermelon. [​IMG]

7. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    When it's really hot mine tend to hide UNDER the coop where the dirt is nice and cool. I also put frozen 2 liter bottles of water under there for them. They love to lay by them.

8. Ft Chix

Ft Chix In the Brooder

Jun 23, 2009
    Dust bath or stay in the coop all day

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: