What do your roosters sing/say when they crow?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Sunny Side Up, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Perhaps I just have an overactive imagination, but I hear songs or words when certain roosters crow. There are about a half dozen that I keep to husband my hens, and other cockerels that are growing out towards the table. So I get to hear a lot of different variations on the basic "cock-a-doodle-doo" theme.

There was one who sang the opening bars of the Get Smart theme song: "er-er-errRRR-RAH!" Then after listening to the book Around the World in 80 Days there was another young roo whose crow sounded like he was saying the name of Mr Fogg's valet Passepartout: "Pass-pah-TOOOOO!"

Is it just me, or do you also hear songs or words when your roosters crow?

2. SilkieMan

SilkieMan Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    Elkview
    My friend use to have a little roo who would squat, look straight at the ground, and
    Crow. It sounded like he was crowing/saying "Look!! A bottom!! Awhwwww.."
    Lol!! True story. Bizarre right?

3. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    ONe of mine sounds like he is saying: Imma Butt Clerk.

4. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

My BR roo just started to crow last week (not often at all). He just flaps his wings and goes HOOOOOO. No cock-a-doodle-do. Just HOOOOOO. [​IMG]

5. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Doug crows a nice little Ahhh-ah-ah (his isn't very good) and Toast, my silkie, just started about a week ago and it just sounds like a big squeak with some ooo's LoL

6. yomama

yomama Overrun With Chickens

I know what mine is saying " Let me out of this stupid quarantine and put me in with those hot mama hens!!!!!!" ( I just got a new roo a few weeks ago)

1 person likes this.
  7. Orpingtons4U

Orpingtons4U Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    Central Virginia
    Quote:May the silkie is saying Niko LOL JK

8. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Ever since I was a kid, I have heard them sing "Oh, Ro-ber-ta"
    That's my name. [​IMG]

9. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:May the silkie is saying Niko LOL JK

Haha maybe he is! I'll let ya know after I listen to him wake me up tomorrow [​IMG]

10. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have a splash Jersey Giant who has the oddest crow, almost like he is inhaling on the last syllable. One friend says he sounds asthmatic, and another said, "Oh, he's humming the last part because he doesn't know all the words!"

Imagine this: "THIS IS MY CROW, ohwaitiforgotthewords...". And the next one, "I GOT IT NOW!!!.... Ohnoidon't"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by