What does a brown legorn male chick look like???

RaeSchmidt18

Hatching
May 18, 2020
Hi all, I'm new to the group and have many questions, my biggest one at the moment, is how to tell the difference between a male and female brown leghorn. We ordered a brown leghorn rooster chick from Farm&Fleet, but I'm positive they made a mistake and gave us a female chick instead. My husband said when he went to pick it up, everything they received from the hatchery was very poorly labeled, and the employees had a hard time distinguishing the male from the females. Is there a noticeable difference between males and females as chicks? Or do they look exactly the same? Can anyone post a picture of their roosters when they were chicks for comparison please? TIA:) 🐣

Hi all, I'm new to the group and have many questions, my biggest one at the moment, is how to tell the difference between a male and female brown leghorn. We ordered a brown leghorn rooster chick from Farm&Fleet, but I'm positive they made a mistake and gave us a female chick instead. My husband said when he went to pick it up, everything they received from the hatchery was very poorly labeled, and the employees had a hard time distinguishing the male from the females. Is there a noticeable difference between males and females as chicks? Or do they look exactly the same? Can anyone post a picture of their roosters when they were chicks for comparison please? TIA:) 🐣
I don't have any male brown Leghorns, but I have a female. She looked like your average chipmunk-striped chick.
As far as I know, there is no easy way to tell Leghorn chick genders apart. No down color or growth difference, nothing like that. If you know how to vent sex, that's a perfectly good option. If not, you'll just have to wait and see.
While waiting, be consoled by the fact that if they had no idea what they were doing, there's roughly a fifty percent chance that they gave you the right gender.

Unfortunately, anyone trying to sex a Leghorn chick is just guessing. You'll have to wait and see. If it turns out to be a hen it's sods law, but a great laying example of sods law.

We had some Dark Brown Leghorn Chicks. They were straight run and we ended up with 2 males and 3 females. Here are some pics to maybe help you out. By 5 weeks we began to see the M/F differences, and by 7 weeks it was obvious who was male, who was female.

Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 6.26.45 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 6.26.21 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 6.24.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 6.25.12 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 6.25.47 AM.png

Back
Top Bottom