1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What does a chick who has feathered out look like?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by _SouthAfrican_, Aug 5, 2008.

1. _SouthAfrican_

_SouthAfrican_ Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2008
    SE Mass
  2. IloveTravis

IloveTravis Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2008
    They have most of thier feathers in, but they still have some down. My babies didn't completely feather out until they made it past the "teenager" stage.
    From the pictures I can't tel how big your chicks are- but as long as they are okay without the heatlamp, 65 degrees F should be fine.
    Don't quote me on it though [​IMG]

3. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    For summer time weather, around 6 weeks is fully feathered out enough to go out.

For winter time, I wait until 8 weeks before taking away the heat lamp.

4. _SouthAfrican_

Jul 25, 2008
    SE Mass
    Thank you [​IMG] they're 4 weeks old and they actually don't need the lamp. They're fine without it, but I felt like putting it on for them this morning.

It's pretty warm here, being August and all, and I'm trying to figure out when to put them in the coop [​IMG]

Thanks again!

5. goldnchocolate

goldnchocolate Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Hi and welcome! I'm from south central Mass, just outside of Worcester. [​IMG]

It is on cool side here in New England today and they might need the heat lamp a little, especially tonight.

6. _SouthAfrican_

Jul 25, 2008
    SE Mass
    Hi Cathy! Wow - we're practically neighbors. We're very near the junction of Rt24/Rt495

I think that's what spurred me to put the lamp on for them this morning. It's the first "nip" I've felt in the air all summer. I dread this day because I know it's all downhill from here [​IMG]

Thanks for the headsup - I will definitely put the lamp on for them at night.

Approx how old would you say they need to be to go out in the coop in these NE nights? I would be able to put the lamp in the coop, if that makes a difference.

So glad to have "bumped into you" here [​IMG]
    ~Caryn~

7. newchickiefarmer

newchickiefarmer Out Of The Brooder

Jul 16, 2008
    Montana
    My frizzle bantams are 5 weeks old today [​IMG] you can see one of em in my avatar to the left. Are yours bantams? Mine are, and they look only a little smaller than yours.

8. _SouthAfrican_

Jul 25, 2008
    SE Mass
    They're standards [​IMG]

Your little banty is cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by