What does a correct comb look like on a Silkie?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by yellowflower, Nov 22, 2009.

1. yellowflower

yellowflower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2009
    Bradford NH
    What color and shape is correct. And is it hard to breed out incorrect combs? I need pictures! Thanks!

2. gingernutranger

gingernutranger Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2007
    Any ones here are really nice, http://chickedeefarm.com/. And its very hard to breed out a bad comb, you have to cull those.

3. yellowflower

May 21, 2009
    Bradford NH
    Beautiful birds but you really can't see them very well. I need up close pictures. Please anyone?

4. yellowflower

May 21, 2009
    Bradford NH
    Anyone? If you don't have pictures if you could just tell me?

5. floridamama

floridamama Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2009
    Polk City
    I am not for sure but, I was by several people this way or that. Best way to explain what I have taken away from their info. It should be a small roundish bulb. It should fit the bird's face. In other words large silkie larger comb, smaller silkie smaller comb. Hens you shouldn't see any at all for a good quality hen but some will have a tiny "bump" if they don't have a large "fro" Hope that help some. Most likely I confused you even more. [​IMG] Sorry if I did.

6. yellowflower

May 21, 2009
    Bradford NH
    Thankyou! So by that description it should be easy to tell a hen from a roo? I noticed it on mine, the roos have bigger combs and the hens you can barely see, they just don't have much there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by