1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what does a dead chick in an egg look like

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Berynn, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    What does a dead chick in an egg look like. Last night when I candled I realized that my home made devise was hot. and this morning when I woke up for the first time my temp in my forced air bater was 104 and the humidity was in the 30's that never happened before. I am on day 12

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

You can't really tell. By day 12, you just gotta keep going and wait it out to see if anyone hatches or if development entirely stops. Experienced eyes may be able to pick out those who died on day 12 by day 18, but otherwise, it is safest to let them go till day 24.

3. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    How long was the temp that high? There are so many variables. Like I said, Patience.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I agree too early! ... just have patience...temps spikes for days is what kills hatches...your humidity is fine...don't worry about too low until day 18....

5. Berynn

Berynn Cooped Up

Oct 13, 2007
    How long was the temp that high? There are so many variables. Like I said, Patience.

I am not sure, it was fine and always has been until I woke up this morning, and I fixed it asap

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    You caught it in plenty of time....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by