1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What does a full grown african pygmy goat look like pics plz

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by aaronzclark, Jun 4, 2009.

1. aaronzclark

aaronzclark Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 4 pygmy goats 2, 2 month old's and 2, 7 month old's here is a pic of my 7 month old buck and doe is this as big as they will get? will my buck grow a beard and long hair? if not what does a full grown look like pics please

Here is a few pics. sorry they both are not good but gives you an idea
    Here is my doe
    [​IMG]

Here is my buck

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2009
  2. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    The buck looks to have something else in him, I'm guessing nigerian dwarf, but hard to tell from that angle. At 7 months old they shouldn't be full grown, their pretty much full height at 2 years (although some are late bloomers), and will still fill out til 3 years or so.

Here's a breeders site you can check out their goats,
    http://www.maggidans.com/bucks.htm

3. Larry Waughon

Larry Waughon Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2009
    Hampshire, IL
  4. aaronzclark

Nope full pygmy I got him at 2 days old the lady had him and his twin brother in with the daddy and mama both pygmy. this was actually early 6 month picture cruddy picture

5. cutiepieacres

cutiepieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    S. CA
    There are two types of Pygmy goats that I see out in the world. "Pygmys" that are sold as purebred and are of small stature and have a lot of the same characteristics as the the registered purebred pygmies that are bred to a standard and the show type.

A lot of Pygmys are mixed but still retain very dwarf like characteristics but also display traits of other breeds. Both of your goats have a pretty short stature and decent cobby bodies but the buck does display non-characteristic markings in the face and some other random white. I would say that at some point they may have come from a mixed breed heritage but are still very Pygmy in type and some of the more Pygmy type goats I have seen that are being sold as "Pygmy goats".

Your 7 month old goats are not yet full grown as mentioned about 2 is full grown and the buck is just now probably starting to get "bucky" he should grow a nice full coat with a long beard. Pygmy bucks are very precocious, bet you cant wait until he starts peeing on himself, LOL!!!

here is a full grown buck
    [​IMG]

6. Haviris

Sep 4, 2007
    Is he registered? I was basing that partly on his color, but he also doesn't look stocky enough either, ever hear anyone say pygmies look like beer kegs on legs? There is a reason they say that! Based on that pic I'd guess Nigerian Dwarf.

I think the black w/ frosted ears and nose is a normal pygmy color, but generally they won't have anymore then a belly band of white (anymore than that is undesirable).

7. aaronzclark

Quote:Yes he is just now getting bucky he has started peeing on him self and has big testes but short coat I hope he grows a beard and turns more manly he is a bottle baby [​IMG] Anyways mom and dad were both pygmy but the mom and dad could of been mixed with something who knows I was just telling my dad he looks more nigerian to me but he has pygmy in him that's all I know

Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  8. cutiepieacres

cutiepieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    S. CA
    OH a bottle baby!!! [​IMG]
    I love bottle babies. But they are usually much more slow to develop, he will grow a beard but depending on what is in his background he may or maynot retain a more slick appearance. But he should still get a martingale and more hair growth over the topline and legs and up on his crown/forehead area.

I bet he is cute. You need new pics, all this talk we need to see him!

9. aaronzclark

K good. I thought he was wormy but I have wormed him and gave him shots so its just his appearence I guess. most pygmy goats are big built my doe is 3 weeks older and he a lot fuller in the face and has longer hair

Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  10. Haviris

Sep 4, 2007
    He's cute either way I hope you will post more pics of him, I'd love to see him from the side!

I haven't found bottle babies to be slower to develop, in fact my bottle kids are often bigger then their sibs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by