What does a gold sexlink chick look like??

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by busywoman, May 26, 2010.

1. busywoman

busywoman In the Brooder

May 11, 2010
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Hello!
    I have had some babies hatch over the last 36 hours and don't know the color difference between Buff Orpington and Gold Sex-link chickies. Supposedly I had both types in my batch of eggs. I know what the BO's look like but I'm not sure if the three yellow chicks I have are all the same breed or different. Anyone have pics of Gold Sexlinks for me to compare to mine, and how do I know if it's M or F? I'd post a pic of mine but hubby took the camera to the slope with him [​IMG]
    Thanks for you help!

2. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Red sex link in the lower left with 2 orange stripes down it's back. The buff orp is in the middle, solid yellow.
    [​IMG]

4. PetRock

PetRock Crowing

Apr 28, 2010
    SF Bay Area, CA
    The yellow chick is our Golden sex link at around 1 week old. Omelet is 9 weeks old now and a sweetie! Oh, and she is definitely a she!

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  5. busywoman

busywoman In the Brooder

May 11, 2010
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Thank you for everyones replies! I have four yellows so far but one has a deeper gold color while the others are a soft yellow, like a BO, so I was guessing it might be a gold sexlink, but wanted to be compare it with others. Now my question is, seeing its a sexlink, what trait shows that it's male or female? It doesn't have any noticable marks or anything so how do I tell? [​IMG] Thanks!! [​IMG]

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Red sex link males are white. When they feather in, they will be white with some red on the wings. The females feather in red with white on the wing tips and some white on the tail.

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    You Buff Orpington should have White legs and your Sex-linked "should" have yellow...

Chris

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by