What does a Midnight Peahen Look like?

MinxFox

Crowing
9 Years
Sep 16, 2010
Pensacola, FL
I did a lot of searching and I could only find midnight BS peahens, midnight silver pied peahens, etc but no plain midnight peahens!

So, I was wondering if midnight peahens look just about identical to India Blue peahens? I never realized that I don't think I have seen just a plain Midnight hen before.
This is just more stuff I am looking up for my illustration. I have 4 more peahens to add before all India Blue varieties will be done...By all varieties I mean just the basic varieties like pied, cameo, peach, etc. I am not going to make "Bronze silver pied". Then once I am done with the India blue varieties, I am moving onto green peafowl subspecies and finally varying degrees of spalding. Maybe I will post the image once I have all of the India Blue varieties finished...The peahens I have left are Opal, Purple, Charcoal, and of course Midnight.

oh oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooops!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
he.gif

I figured I'd try searching myself, and you're right -- the pics don't seem to be out there. My thought is that since the original mutation occurred in Blackshoulders, most were simply continued to be bred with that mutation -- especially since it looks so good on the boys.

:)

I figured I'd try searching myself, and you're right -- the pics don't seem to be out there. My thought is that since the original mutation occurred in Blackshoulders, most were simply continued to be bred with that mutation -- especially since it looks so good on the boys.

Ahh, I was wondering if that was the case!

Are these one
Nope. Those are Midnights but they are Midnight black shoulders once again.
wink.png
I checked that site because I thought they would have photos of the hen, but no one seems to have just a regular Midnight hen. Oh well.

Nope -- Blackshoulder again. What MinxFox is looking for will look like a normal IB hen with a different shade of color on the neck -- but otherwise, the normal barred-wing pattern.

Ok I didn't want to leave the midnight peacock illustration without a hen, so I just assumed that a regular midnight peahen would have darker green neck feathers compared to a regular India Blue peahen.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom