What does a molting hen look like? Pictures?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by NHchicks, Sep 17, 2010.

1. NHchicks

NHchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    I'd love to know. I suspect one of my 1+ yr. old hens is starting to molt because her feathers are looking all deranged. If anyone has pictures of your molts in progress, can you post?

Also, what is the purpose behind molting? Does it serve a purpose? Seems nature would have them molt in the summer and not when it's getting cold out?

I have one RIR hen that is just plain ol ugly. She's been looking like she's in some stage of molt for months. Her son, one of my young roosters, looks just like her - u-g-l-y. I don't think she has a problem, but I'm assuming some hens have beautiful feathers and some just have "bad hair".

But what's the deal with molting?

2. chickenboy21

chickenboy21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    ok to start chickens molt about once a year just to maintain good feather condition... though i have never done it you can force your birds into a molt in the summer

to tell if your bird is going through a molt pull out a wing if there are any missing feathers (there should be ten primaries) you can most likely assume your bird is molting... nothing to worry about

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by