What does a roos crow sound like

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickenlover7711, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Chickenlover7711

Chickenlover7711 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2010
    So my roo is 18 weeks old and I think I just heard him crow for the first time. It sounded different from the hens cackle but like a low witches laugh. Is that his crow?

2. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    My baby roosters' first crows sound an awful lot like they are strangling. It sounds like those old baby dolls that cry when you turn them over. It is one of the most pitiful, hysterically funny sounds EVER!

[​IMG]

3. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Ohhh.... Just wait a few days. He will get it together.... Then you can go get ear plugs... [​IMG]

4. Chickenlover7711

Aug 12, 2010
    So do you think the sound he made isn't his crow? He made the sound when he heard a squirl or me laugh.

5. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    When they stand up tall, tail feathers up, flap their wings, stretch their necks, and make a sound like a strangling coon -- they ARE trying to crow. We have a young one who reminds us of those party noisemakers that you hold by a peg and spin around -- sounds like scraping two tin cans together. A second one sounds like something strangling. We stand and peek in the stall (they're in the barn) and try not to laugh so hard that we distract them and they stop practicing. [​IMG]

6. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    I was in denial every single time one of mine crowed for the first time (b/c we can't keep roosters). When you hear it, it's fairly obvious even though it may be a half-hearted effort in the beginning. They get their full singing voice soon enough though!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2010
  7. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    When young roo crows sound like a scheeking noice.

8. Chickenlover7711

Aug 12, 2010
    So do u think what I heard wasn't his crow

9. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Roosters make a wide variety of sounds ranging from the crow to a funny little growling sound. If yours is doing it in response to a squirrel, it may be a misplaced warning sound. I know mine do a couple of different warning sounds. One is for something on the ground that they are somewhat unsure of, one is for something on the ground that they know is trouble and one is for big scary things flying over. Could be your little boy is trying out his warning calls. Or it just could be he is figuring our his vocal cords and trying out all sorts of things. Who knows with roosters?

10. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] SO TRUE [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by