What does a SLW roo 1-3 day old look like?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by ARose4Heaven, Jan 22, 2011.

1. ARose4Heaven

ARose4Heaven Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    I have ordered an assortment of brown egg layer pullets 100 of them, and one SLW roo. I want to know what he will look like so I can spoil him from minute one, so he will be a gentle fellow to gift my mother for her birthday.

Please post lots of SLW roo baby pics for me.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Here's a picture of one of the groups I hatched out last spring. I don't know which are pullets and which are roos.....they pretty much look the same at that age. The hatchery will probably mark him for you if you asked them to. You might want to consider that a spoiled roo is more likely to become a mean roo when he matures.

ETA: I just noticed there are a few orpingtons mixed in with the SLWs.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  3. ARose4Heaven

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    Handled roos are less friendly? I thought that handling him would make him recognize from an early age, that the human is boss.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Nope, that usually just makes him think he's your equal....and then he wants to become your superior once his hormones kick in. I don't handle my roos or hens anymore than necessary, but they are all friendly birds. That's my opinion anyway. [​IMG] A lot will also depend on what the temprement of the parent stock was.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

1 to 3 day old SLW roo chicks look just like 1 to 3 day old SLW pullets. I echo the recommendations to not handle any cockerel any more than you handle the pullet chicks. He will naturally want to be the Boss because that's the Chicken Way of Things. Handling and loving on 'em is okay, just don't think that will make him nicer when he grows up.

None of mine are mean (even the little Sebright roosters are just testing, wanting to be The Boss of Me). They all know Carl is their Boss and *I* am Carl's Boss.

6. ARose4Heaven

Apr 16, 2009
    Flippin, AR
    Good. This makes it a lot easier. I won't have to be in any hurry to sort out who's who when the new peeps arrive. I am giving 5 hens and the roo to my mother for her Birthday, January 26th, but she doesn't want them until May when she can have her coop ready. By then I am sure the roo will have let himself be known. [​IMG] I be happy now.

Is 5 to 1 a good ratio for hens/roos?

7. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    For starting out that is ok. 1 rooster can handle up to 10 hens. It just depends on how frisky the roo is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by