What does a trill "Tr.tr.tr.tr.tr.trTrTrTrTr" mean?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LA~Poulet, Jun 10, 2009.

1. LA~Poulet

LA~Poulet Songster

Apr 27, 2009
    near Lake Charles, LA
    We have some 7 week old Salmon faverolle chicks, including a very precocious rooster who is already Mr. Boss of the coop. He is also the most outgoing. Today he pranced right up to me, when I fed them, eyeballed me, and did a noise, like it would sound if you rolled your tongue but instead of Rrrrrrr, a TrTrTrtrtrTrTrtrtrTrTr type sound.

I thought he was being friendly, and repeated it back to him (softly, and as best as I could impersonate. Suddenly, all 7 chicks and 6 guineas froze completely and I had 26 beady little bird eyes intently staring at me. Nothing happened for a few seconds, then the little cockerel repeated (more softly) his trill. I did it back and he broke into a run for the back of the coop and was followed by everyone else, sheer panic.

Was I threatening him or giving a warning cry or what? *sheepish*

I feel bad! I was just trying to make friends. I guess I'll go back out in a minute with some grape fragments and try to make up.

2. rainbowgardens

rainbowgardens Songster

Nov 19, 2008
    Central Virginia
    That's what happens when you use fowl language!

1 person likes this.
  3. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Quote:[​IMG]

4. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    I can't answer, but that must have been funny! [​IMG]

5. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Crowing

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    If is was sort of a piercing roll, then that is a warning.

Around here, when a momma hen does it the chicks head for momma and hide. When a grown rooster does it the larger hens freeze and look up, the bantams hit the bushes FAST. The other Roosters answer the call and it spreads alerting every flock.

Now little Screech, a bantam dutch rooster, does it constantly and everyone ignores him. That is also how the cute little loud mouth got his name.

Matt

6. LA~Poulet

LA~Poulet Songster

Apr 27, 2009
    near Lake Charles, LA
    Thanks, Matt! I appreciate your explanation of a hen vs. a rooster using it.

At least now I know they listen to me, even if they don't care. [​IMG] That is good to know for future reference-I guess one could try to repeat that if there was danger. (I'm guessing "run, hide chickies!" probably wouldn't get the same result)

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude

Trilling sounds like a baby boy crowing. I've heard that several times at less than a week old.

8. GoldenSilverLaced

GoldenSilverLaced Songster

May 1, 2009
    East Central IL
    There was an article in Backyard Poultry about the different sounds a chicken makes depending on sex and age. Here is the link, the title is Fowl Language:

http://www.backyardpoultrymag.com/issues/4-1.html

It is by Gail Damerow, she wrote/edited Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens.

Maybe this would be helpful? I get the issues from our library.

9. giasmom

giasmom Songster

Mar 31, 2009
    Woodville, Al
    Quote:Now thats FUNNY:lau

10. GracefulBantams

GracefulBantams Hatching and Showing

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I think he was saying, "All you chicks, there may be a chance of danger....". But when you repeated it, it must have been like you saying, "You're right! There is danger!!"
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: