What does a white fan tailed pigeon eat? How to tell the sex?

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by mom2chicksandpups, Apr 22, 2009.

1. mom2chicksandpups

mom2chicksandpups Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    My sister called me today to tell me there was a friendly white bird outside of the place where she works and animal control had been called to catch it. I immediately went to pick it up and "rescued" it. I did some research and found that it's a white fan tailed pigeon. It's very sweet and we are thinking of keeping it. Anything I need to know about them?

What do they eat? I tried some of our chicken feed just because we already had it and it wasn't interested.

Is there an easy way to tell if it's a male or female?

Thanks!!

2. mom2chicksandpups

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    Here is a picture of it outside my sister's workplace:
    [​IMG]

It was not safe in the place where she found it. There is horrible traffic and animal control had already been called to come get it.

It's a friendly bird. Since I posted previously, it has started eating chicken feed and drinking water I gave it. I hope that is okay!

3. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I normally give mine some parakeet seed, some grit and some flock raiser. They are pretty easy to care for, but they can be messy but worth it. Males will puff up and coo while strutting around. It might not do it if it doesn't have a mate. [​IMG] Very Pretty fantail

4. mom2chicksandpups

Apr 18, 2009
    Southeast Alabama
    He has been strutting in front of our chickens and cooing, so I guess it's a male. Thanks! We will see if he stays...

5. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    He is beautifull! I've always loved fantails.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by