What does American lavender orphinton mean?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chichero, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Chichero

Chichero Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2017
    USA
    I have a chance to buy American lavender orphinton hatching eggs so I was wanting to know what the difference between them and the English?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    American Orpingtons are lighter in weight and finer in bone. English Orpingtons are big stocky birds with lots of fluff.

3. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    Is that the only difference? I have chicks from two different breeders. I am wondering if one set is American and the other English by the way their feathers coming in. For example, one set the tail is not noticeable. They are round on the back end. The others have definite tails as they are feathering out. Is this a difference?

4. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Chicks molt multiple times as they are growing and the feathers sometimes come in goofy before they become more normal. Chicks from 2 different lines would look differently, and might feather out differently. I don't know if you can necessarily tell the difference between the two types until they start to get a bit bigger. The English should be bigger of bone, and perhaps overall a bit larger than the American type.

Ren2014 likes this.
  5. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    Thank you. There's just such a difference between the two sets. The older ones look just like adult versions and they are just beautiful. I never noticed a tail developing in them. I sure hope the younger ones develop the round look:fl

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by