What does blood ring look like?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chknmomma, Jan 24, 2011.

1. chknmomma

chknmomma Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2011
    WA
    I have 5 eggs under a broody due this weekend (saturday I believe). We are on day 16. I have 1 egg that does not look like the other 4. I have it marked. Last week, there were 2 that looked different, but I cracked open one of them. Accidentally killed the baby in there. So I'm not going to crack open anymore.

But I was just curious what the blood ring looks like. I've tried googling and searching for photos. There are fantastic photos of candling eggs and where they should be. But I haven't found any of blood rings.

Thanks!!

2. chknmomma

Jan 10, 2011
    WA
    PS - I have seen this photo. But I think this egg developed further than day 3 since there is a dark mass in there.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/230_ps.jpg

It's just a very geometric shape rather than stuff kinda everywhere. Like a very distinct line running at an angle in the egg.

3. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Try this link http://shilala.homestead.com/candling.html at 16 days you should be able to see lots of strong veins and possibly some movement. If it looks dark and clouded no veins it usually means the chick has died at some point in development.

4. chknmomma

Jan 10, 2011
    WA
    Thank you so much! I will definitely not toss this one. It looks very similar to the last egg at the bottom right (which is listed as a good egg). It just confuses me b/c this one is not as "sloshy" or there isn't as much movement as in the other eggs.

5. mrslb333

mrslb333 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    They can be a bit tricky in the later stages. Not long now till they hatch [​IMG] Good luck [​IMG] Post pics when they come [​IMG]

6. chknmomma

Jan 10, 2011
    WA
    thanks! It doesn't smell and it's not "weeping". So I figured I would leave it regardless. It's a very porous looking egg. So we shall see in a few days!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by