what does "brassy" mean? BLRW

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kari_dawn, Dec 26, 2011.

1. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I have been posting pictures of my BLRW all over the place cause I am SOOO excited to have them! Yes, they are mere hatchery birds, but quality anything has been elusive in my price range [​IMG] Well, I knew my BLRWs don't have great color, though their type is pretty good considering they are hatchery birds. I have been told the term is too "brassy". Does this just mean that her red is not rich/deep enough?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My splash girl is not as well built as my blue girl, but her red is definately much darker and richer than my blue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Yes, its because the hatchery most likely crossed them with Golden Laced Wyandottes so they have some actual gold comming through instead if the pure mohagany like BLR should have.

3. hangartnerchix

hangartnerchix Out Of The Brooder

Dec 11, 2011
    Brassy or not, I think your chickens are really pretty!

4. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    well, thank you! I think they are rather lovely as well....I was pleased enough to order three more...but two of the new ones have much paler "red" than even my first two girls. The first two were from the first time they were available from MPC. The other three are much younger...I wonder if they have already watered down their stock with GLW :/If so, that is exceedingly disappointing...I don't think anyone in my area breeds these [​IMG]

5. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I agree, they are still very pretty birds, and heck if you want to, you could just call them Blue laced gold and then you would have some very pretty BLGold wyandottes and nobody could argue with you about that.

6. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    Quote:[​IMG] awesome [​IMG] I guess I am of the school of backyard hatchery chickens conform to lower expectations! Ah well, maybe some day....in the meantime, I still love seeing that big beatiful butt strut across the yard!

[​IMG]

7. far149

far149 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2010
    Texas
    According to the APA's SOP, brassiness is "A term descriptive of a light yellowish metallic cast commonly found in the plumage of white and part-white varieties, and to a lesser degree in several other varieties, particularly in the hackle, wing-bow and saddle of the male; a serious defect, may be hereditary or affected by exposure to sun rays and certain items in the diet." Page 10, 2001 ed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by