What does Broody hen mean?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ema, Jun 16, 2010.

1. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    I am new and I know some of you might think this is a stupid question but I am wondering what the term Broody hen means?

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    a broody hen is a hen who has decided she wants to become a momma.

It means she'll start sitting on her eggs, become a bit evil, and protect her babies like a velociraptor.

3. Tanichca

Tanichca Sparkle Magnet

May 6, 2009
    Vail, Arizona
    A broody is a hen who decides to sit on something (doesn't necessarily need to be eggs- some types of birds will try to hatch a golf ball!) and try to hatch it out. typically it takes 21 days for eggs to hatch, but sometimes a hen will sit for far longer. She wont like people touching her, and may become rather mean if you try to.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

And it appears to be hormonally or instinctually driven, this urge to nest...

5. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    I have had many a broody try to hatch a turd.

Good call tanicha.

6. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    hahahahahaha that is hilarious!!!! ok so I got it..that explains why when I was a kid I always thought my grandmothers hens were evil!!! they used to chase me right out of the coop without a single egg!!!!

7. feathersnuggles

feathersnuggles Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2009
    Seattle
    It means she wants to be a living, breathing egg-incubator. She wants Bay-Bees!... and she wants them Now! She is in full-on hormonal instinct and she will sit on and try to hatch absolutely ANYTHING.

One recent BYC post about a broody made me laugh so hard, I almost fell off my chair. It's called "Broody tries to hatch a Tupperware container" It's a hoot, here it is. [​IMG]
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=4204007

8. kellbellsa

kellbellsa Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2014
    What does it mean if they a description of a breed says they have a single broodiness? Does that mean they only go through it 1 time? My orpington became broody, but she never got mean. We would just lift one side of her and look for an egg. She stopped now though.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by