What does "broody" mean?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Kataloo, Feb 9, 2014.

1. Kataloo

Kataloo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2014
    Utah
    What does broody actually mean? Is it a good thing or bad. I think it is when a chicken will sit on eggs, but do they do that with unfertilized eggs? (Meaning there is no rooster in site?) What's bad about a chicken being broody? What's good?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello and Welcome To BYC! Ya, broody is used to describe a hen that will sit on eggs trying to hatch them. Mainly it is good if you want the hen to hatch chicks, it is bad if you want the hen to lay eggs since they quit laying when they are broody. Being broody is hormonal, they don't need a rooster around to go broody and they will sit on unfertilized eggs, fake eggs, determined ones will sit on about anything including an empty nest. There are a couple of nice articles in the BYC Learning Center on Broody hens https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-and-raising-chicks

1 person likes this.
  3. Nick9793

Nick9793 Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2013
    Burnsville Ms
  4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

They quit laying eggs and set on the eggs in the nest. They growl at you usually when you try to take the eggs away. They fluff up like a turkey when you take them off the nest for eating and exercise once a day, and bock as they walk around.

5. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Welcome to BYC! Excellent advice given here. I don't keep roosters, so I GREATLY dislike those broodies!!!!! [​IMG]

Enjoy all your poultry adventures!

6. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you with us [​IMG]

Sounds like you understand very well yes a hen just want to
    sit on her egg's so it is good if this is what you want and bad
    if you are only trying to gather egg's [​IMG]

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

8. Kataloo

Feb 4, 2014
    Utah
    I am considering a small flock of chickens, not roosters. The ones I am most interested in are Buff Orpingtons, Black Austerlops, Plymouth Rock, and Easter Eggers. Do any of these have problems with being broody?

9. Kataloo

Feb 4, 2014
    Utah
    Are Austerlops loud? I live in a residential neighborhood and need quiet chickens. What would be the best choice?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by