What does "broody" mean?

Kataloo

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 4, 2014
Utah
What does broody actually mean? Is it a good thing or bad. I think it is when a chicken will sit on eggs, but do they do that with unfertilized eggs? (Meaning there is no rooster in site?) What's bad about a chicken being broody? What's good?

Hello and Welcome To BYC! Ya, broody is used to describe a hen that will sit on eggs trying to hatch them. Mainly it is good if you want the hen to hatch chicks, it is bad if you want the hen to lay eggs since they quit laying when they are broody. Being broody is hormonal, they don't need a rooster around to go broody and they will sit on unfertilized eggs, fake eggs, determined ones will sit on about anything including an empty nest. There are a couple of nice articles in the BYC Learning Center on Broody hens https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-and-raising-chicks

images

Welcome to BYC! Excellent advice given here. I don't keep roosters, so I GREATLY dislike those broodies!!!!!
lol.png

Enjoy all your poultry adventures!

What does broody actually mean? Is it a good thing or bad. I think it is when a chicken will sit on eggs, but do they do that with unfertilized eggs? (Meaning there is no rooster in site?) What's bad about a chicken being broody? What's good?

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you with us
frow.gif

Sounds like you understand very well yes a hen just want to
sit on her egg's so it is good if this is what you want and bad
if you are only trying to gather egg's
smile.png

I am considering a small flock of chickens, not roosters. The ones I am most interested in are Buff Orpingtons, Black Austerlops, Plymouth Rock, and Easter Eggers. Do any of these have problems with being broody?

Are Austerlops loud? I live in a residential neighborhood and need quiet chickens. What would be the best choice?

Back
Top Bottom