What does chick starter look like?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Dinos_rock, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Dinos_rock

Dinos_rock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Arizona
    Are there different kinds of chick starter? The reason I ask this is because my dad bought some the other day and it looked like yellowish powder. The chick starter I have is crumbly and grayish-tan and it doesn't say anywhere on the bag that it is chick starter (I ordered chick starter and that is what the store gave me) it just has a picture on the front of a turkey, a chicken, and a duck. It says 'poultry feed' on the bag too.

Also, how long does chick starter stay good for? I had this for a while. I was going to get some chicks from my school, but they died before I even got them. And them the other chick I had died too (predator got em).

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Starter is in crumble form but other feed can come in crumble or pellet form. If it says poultry feed it is probably just a general grower ration. It should be just fine for your chicks. If it is more powdery than crumbles you can wet what you need for a feeding with a little warm water to make it clump up and they can't waste as much.

3. Dinos_rock

Dinos_rock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Arizona
    Ok, thanks MissPrissy. Does anyone know how long it will stay good for the chicks to eat?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by