what does chickens poop so much?

kbeagle

CHICKEN AND QUAIL LADY
10 Years
May 2, 2009
buffalo, south carolina
I know this must a dumb and stupid question, but please everyone don't laugh at me. this is my first time having chickens for eggs. What does chickens poop so much, and poop everywhere.

They have a high metabolism and it takes only a short time for their food to digest. Chickens also grow very fast and need to eat a lot in order to grow so fast. More food=more poop. I've also heard chickens urinate through their feces which may be another reason they poop so much. I've been told the white part in their poop is the urine.

Chickens do not have a bladder. They are just like any other bird.

The white portion of the feces is the urate that the kidney transfer to the poop shoot.

They eat alot of different things in free range and they poop, poop and poop.

15239_crop.jpg

How much they poop also depends on breed and what they eat. Of course bantams usually poop less, but I have a BR that has been making poops the size of dog turds since she was 3 months old. I notice they poop less when I feed better quality feed. Also they poop more when they eat more roughage- but they are ranging so it is spread out more.

I agree with the other posts. Chicken are eating machines. Always scratching and eating. What goes in must come out.

The old expression "You're eating like a bird" has it backward. Birds eat more compared to their body weight than we ever could. They eat a lot and they poop a lot. And unfortunately chickens don't have enough sense to avoid pooping where they eat and sleep.

Back
Top Bottom