What does Columbian mean???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by dandydoodle, Aug 2, 2011.

1. dandydoodle

dandydoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Okay, I am interested in purchasing an EE. The lady I am talking to says he has a columbian gene. I tried to look up columbian chicken on the internet no such luck. I tried to look up Columbian on BYC well I came up with Columbian Plymouth Rock, Columbian Wyandotte, Columbian Cochin and blue and red Columbian. I am sure the list goes on. Can anyone tell me what a columbian gene is.

Thanks,
    Michelle;)

2. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

Since EE are a mutt chicken that lay blue/green eggs. It's probably a mix with a Columbian ??? and an Americauana. So it will probably look more like a columbian with green legs and muff/beard. I'm sure others can give you a much better answer, but I think the feather pattern would be a lacing around the head and more of a solid white on the body with dark contrast on wing tips and tail.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  3. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Is there a certain breed named Columbian? I keep putting Columbian in the web search and I just keep coming up with recipes. [​IMG]

4. colebarnhart

colebarnhart Chillin' With My Peeps

No, pretty sure it's just the coloring white/black. As you have already found out on BYC you can have different combs and different kinds of wyandottes, plymouth rocks and etc.

5. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    Columbian is a color variety/pattern, not a specific breed.

The bird will most likely look something like this, it's a very common pattern in EEs.
    [​IMG]

6. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:Columbian gene is expressed like this Co, and is Dominant over co+, what is the effect of columbian gene? to push all the black pigment to the ends of the bird(Tail, Fly feathers and on eb some black pigment on the hackle)

are there any other Columbian like genes? Yes.. documented ones are Db(Dark Brown, found on Ginger OEG) and lesser ones like Mahogany and Di

here check this cool genetic calculator made by Mr. Henk
    http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html

just enter Columbia and see how the bird looks after..[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  7. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Thanks, I am confused though cause the EE I am looking at is not white and black it is grey and buff. [​IMG] Oh well, he is really pretty though. Thanks, for your help.

8. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Thanks, so much this has been very helpful. It all makes sense now. [​IMG]

Quote:

9. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:its white if its based on Sex linked Silver(S/S), but Buff if its based on sex linked Gold(s+/s+)

10. dandydoodle

Sep 21, 2010
    georgia
    Thanks, so much I am about to check out the sight. [​IMG]

Quote:Columbian gene is expressed like this Co, and is Dominant over co+, what is the effect of columbian gene? to push all the black pigment to the ends of the bird(Tail, Fly feathers and on eb some black pigment on the hackle)

are there any other Columbian like genes? Yes.. documented ones are Db(Dark Brown, found on Ginger OEG) and lesser ones like Mahogany and Di

here check this cool genetic calculator made by Mr. Henk
    http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html

just enter Columbia and see how the bird looks after..[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by