What does does it mean to find undigested pellets in the poop.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by overnout, Nov 30, 2011.

1. overnout

overnout New Egg

Nov 29, 2011
    Hi,

Just new to your forum and you guys have been very helpful.

We have a couple of Isa Browns have just noticed some undigested pellets within thier poop. Don't know if its both.

Is there a problem I should be addressing or is this typically normal every now and again?

We purchased our chickens only two days ago as 'ready to lay eggs' But as yet havn't got one. Bwaaah! Lol.

Cheers

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    That's why I don't use them. I like crumbles

3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Adjustment time for new layers can be 2-3 days or 2-3 weeks before they are back to laying.

Short days = may have to wait till spring.

Undigested pellets. Get some of their food, add some water, let it sit for an hour, stir it up real good with a spoon. What does it look like?

As for pellets in their poop... never find whole pellets. At most bits of undigested corn.

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

If the pellets look 'completely' undigested I would think the chicken got lucky with his aim and and pooped on the pellets.

Welcome to the site !

5. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    [​IMG]
    Quote:

6. Marcymom3

Marcymom3 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from Maryland!

If you just got your chickens a couple days ago, they might just be a little stressed being in a new place. If they were laying before you got them, they'll start again soon. If they are "ready to lay" that could mean anything. [​IMG] Are their combs red? Do they squat when you bend down to them? Maybe you should put some light in the coop, otherwise they will slow down. I have read that they need 14 hrs of light, although that has been a subject of debate. From my own limited experience, that first egg takes forever! Hang in there!

A whole pellet? Wow! Not sure I've ever heard of that.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Quote:
    That is my first thought too.

Crumbles are just broken up pellets. They all "melt" when soaked in water.

8. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    agree that they might just be pooping on their food, hah, they can be lovely like that.

if you actually see them pooping undigested looking food, they may need grit provided to them, or you may need to check their water source to make sure they are drinking enough.

and yeah, as the others said, sometimes moving is stressful and they quit laying for a little while. either that or they weren't actually laying yet, just at the age where they should start soon. don't worry though, they'll come [​IMG] unless you got all roos [​IMG]

9. overnout

overnout New Egg

Nov 29, 2011
    Thanks for the replies,

After carefull consideration, I went and checked the poop again. They are somewhat digested, insofar as the pellets, are a little disolved, but look as though they have unmistakebly been passed through thier system. Maybe we're a little over anxious.

Cheers

10. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Quote:So you have an easy gauge. Chickens in general can START laying from 20 to 30 weeks, and this time of year they reduce laying hugely. If you really want to know a truth, you wont start getting a good harvest for a few months or so..... But then the abundance will overwhelm you!
    Have fun!!! If your real concern is the poop... don't fret! It is probably fine.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by