What does "dropped wings' mean? Related to my other post

deedles

Crowing
16 Years
Apr 5, 2007
I saw someone mention that their chicken was sick and showing 'dropped wings' and "they knew that wasn't a good sign"... Mine are doing that.. just noticed it about 2 days ago. What I mean is usually if I reach in to try to pick one up, they scatter and run... the other day my Amauricana kind of squatted down and spread her wings out.. she's never done that before and I thought it odd. Today, I went to pick up one of my Wyandottes and she did the same thing.. didn't run from me at all. My husband said, "wow, when's the last time you were able to pick one of those girls up?"

What does that mean.. is it a sign they are sick?

Last edited:
um, yeah. How old are your girls? It sounds suspiciously like they're amenable to mating, or in other words, "I'm in the mood for love, simply because you're near me... "
wink.png

Yep, mating. Basically, because you're 'the boss' they take your going over to them as you going to mate. Because hens are the more subbordinate (sp?), they don't put up a fight and 'wait for it to be over'. When my hens were a few months old, they'd start this when I went to pick them up. It was funny to watch them squabble when I picked them up, like: 'Hey, you aren't supposed to do that!'
lol.png
After a few days of picking them up, they got the message that I wasn't trying to mate them, and left that to the roosters instead.

So, in other words, they're saying: 'You're the boss, do what you gotta do, just make it quick.'
wink.png

Chickens are so old-fashioned.
roll.png

yeah. It's a sign they are horny, not sick
tongue.png

the droopy wings people talk about occasionally with sick birds is when the bird is feeling weak enough it can't be bothered holding its wings properly folded and the tips trail down. The whole bird is droopy and slow and sad. You'd know it if you saw it.

Have fun,

Pat

I searched "horney" and found this thread.

I named one of my 4 red production pullets Bathsheba because every time I step into the pen she does this squat in front of me. I can't get her to move until I scratch her back. I've picked her up and told her I'm not a roo, but she hasn't gotten the message yet.
hmm.png

All 4 pullets just started to lay eggs.

Back
Top Bottom