What does everyone do with all the xtra males

Discussion in 'Pheasants and Partridge (Chukar)' started by pheasantfrenzie, Jan 18, 2014.

1. pheasantfrenzie

pheasantfrenzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    Montrose,Co
    Hi Everyone,
    I am just wondering what everyone does with all there xtra males from hatching and if you sell them how the heck do you do it????
    I still have about 12 fully colored red, yellow, amherest males and now a couple from this year. I love having them and they are great to have around but I am thinking of selling some and just wondering what everyone else does?

2. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    You could throw them all in a pen and have a bachelor pad so if you lose one you'll have a back up.You would need to keep them away from any hens though.
    In N.H.,Tony.

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Lots of people process and eat their extra roo's, others list them on craigslist or take them to auctions. That's the reason I don't hatch my own, I just don't want the hassle of dealing with the extra roo's.

4. pheasantfrenzie

Jun 17, 2011
    Montrose,Co
    Wish there was auctions here. They are too nice to eat and I know they wouldn't have much meat on them anyways.
    Thanks Tony I do have them in a bachleor pad pen with no females and it is so funny they still do there dance and chase each other around.I will have to post the video if I can figure out how to. Someone emailed before about it but I lost the info.

5. pheasantworld9

pheasantworld9 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2013
    I put some of my ringneck males in a pen(bachelor pad) with no hens near and they destroyed each other in fights and stuff. Lost 3 very good males

6. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    We Process ours, use them for soups, Chicken dumplings or crockpot cooking..

7. wildlifeartist1

wildlifeartist1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2011
    They will kill each other with out hens just as bad as with them! best just to sell them soon

8. pheasantworld9

pheasantworld9 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 13, 2013
    Thanks for the help! I'll try my best!

9. Pavomuticus

Pavomuticus Out Of The Brooder

Apr 8, 2013
  10. pheasantfrenzie

Jun 17, 2011
    Montrose,Co
    Yikes I don't think I could do that to them but thank you for the info I really do appreciate and maybe in the future I may do that but I would have to sell them to somebody because I wouldn't have the heart to do it myself

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by